Yesterday, while driving home after what seemed like the longest day of all time, my friend Lauren and I got to talking about a few hilarious things we think about when we’re driving. After laughing at our crazy ideas, we talked more about a specific, similar thought. This thought kind of stuck with me. I went home, sat in my bed, and thought, “I wonder if anyone else thinks about this when they’re alone with nothing but their thoughts and the road? It’s really not too unrealistic…”
Let me explain. Sometimes, when I get in my car, my stream of consciousness goes like this—“I know I’m driving to the store, but I could technically drive anywhere I wanted…right now. No one’s stopping me. No one else’s foot is on this accelerator except for mine. I mean, if I felt really crazy, I could drive to Florida right now if I felt like it. *Wait, why does it seem like everyone’s first thought of a far away place is always Florida? Is that just me? Okay, stop. I mean, no one would realize if I’m gone for a day or two, would they? I just want to… go.”
Welcome to my mind on the road. Have you ever had a similar, crazy, or spontaneous thought like that?
-----
I’ve only ever been on about two real road trips, or, in other words, driving trips longer than three hours long. One of them ended pretty terribly. I ended up watching my brother’s baseball team play in Cooperstown, NY for a week. The other ended pretty well; posing with a Paula Deen cut-out and a southern adventure with some great girlfriends.
Road trips are usually fabulous, spontaneous or not. They give you an opportunity for adventure, a glimpse at something new. Because of this, I have a feeling that a spontaneous trip would be all the more memorable. Maybe I’ll start leaving an overnight bag in my car just in case… {that’s not cheating, right?}
I always say I’d love to be more spontaneous, but sometimes life and schedules and things just hold me back. Well, I’m making it official: this on-the-road stream of consciousness of mine is going on my bucket list, and it’s going to become a reality. One day, I want just get in the car and GO.
Anywhere.
Like this girl.
She looks like such an adventurous free-spirit. Maybe one day I’ll have this special wind-in-my-hair, open-road-ahead, map-to-nowhere type of edge about me. Yes, one fine day, this will be me. Maybe I’d make up some road trip rules, like vowing to only take right turns, or something equally adventurous in my world. {Gypsy girl in the photo probably wouldn’t make rules, but who’s bucket list is this, afterall…} Maybe I wouldn’t tell anyone I was going until I got there. Positively, I would be genuinely happy at the thought of sincerely taking life by the steering wheel. Obviously, there’d be tons of pictures.
And, if anything else, I’m sure it would be one heck of a story to tell.
If you could go anywhere your heart desired the next time you hit the road, where would you end up?
Be spontaneous.
xoxo

7 comments:
I'm like you; I always think of Florida! But I would also love to hop in the car and cruise out to the Southwest.
I always think of either California or Maine! However, I totally get what you mean about being able to drive anywhere. I feel that way all the time in college. No one really cares about you - so what's stopping me from staying out until 4 am? I love the sense of freedom, but I also love that you don't always HAVE to follow it :)
Girl, I love this post so much!!! I think about driving somewhere ALL the time, and I, too, wish I could be more spontaneous. But thanks to darn work and money, it doesn't always happen. I think about driving south to Florida just because my bestie lives there, or maybe to South Carolina to Myrtle Beach or something like that. Just anywhere away from Cleveland! I love road trips but I have never truly been on one....I think that should change soon :)
And so ironic, I was just looking up plane tickets to places for President's Day Weekend because I'm dying to go on a mini-vacay!
My grandfather would do this exact kind of thing... On the weekends we would go for 'drives' and sometimes they would end 3-4 hours away just because we went on an adventure!
I always think of booking a flight somewhere, last minute, running home and having to throw things in a bag in about 30 minutes before I have to be at the airport. For whatever reason I find it so much more exhilerating than if I were driving - I think because with a car I could always turn back?? Not sure. My destination varies daily.
I too always think Florida! But sometimes I think the Hamptons would be really good or California to travel through wine country! But still Florida never fails! I guess that's what the midwest will do to ya!
I always wanted to just get in my car and drive.....see where i got, who i met and just photograph everything!
She's Got Heart{s}
Love your blog by the way, truly funky!
Post a Comment