Happiness is getting your camera back, good as new, after it was briefly injured during a trip to Honduras.
Pure happiness is spending the morning looking through the photos you hadn’t yet seen from that same trip.
Tell me their sweet faces don’t absolutely make your heart melt?
---
I still remember everyone telling me I was crazy to go over there. If I had a dollar for every person I talked to about the trip who shot back at me with a “why can’t you stay here and help the kids in America,” I would be a very rich lady. The thing is, I know there are kids in America that need help, love, and support, too—I know that because I want to teach them. The issue with that kind of mindset is that the children in developing countries need our help so much more. These kids can’t help where they were born. They can’t help that their government is corrupt and they are basically restricted to a life of poverty with little hope of a broken cycle. Spending time with them and making connections with them made me realize one amazing thing: they’re just as innocent, loving, and sweet as any child I have ever met. Even more amazing, they’re always happy and full of smiles regardless of how little they have. Location is just a spot on a map; a small detail.
I wish I could’ve taken them all home; taken them on a plane and seen their faces when we took off and landed. I thought about it when I got home, how I would’ve signed them up for class where I teach, and that I could’ve worked it all out, if life was that easy. Even if I can’t bring them here, I won’t stop wishing for great things for them. Beyond wishing, I need to start doing more for them, starting with helping to finish the school building that they need and deserve. Stay tuned.
Happy, happy weekend, ladies.
xoxo
7 comments:
I'm glad that you got your camera back, and even more glad that you were able to touch many lives in Honduras :)
What sweet pictures!!! What a selfless trip, I would love to be able to travel and help out in other countries.
Great photos. I'm glad you were able to get your camera fixed!
Beautiful photos! I have always wanted to go on a mission trip of some kind, and I actually have a friend who spent 6 months in Honduras as a Peace intern. There's a good chance I might be able to go to Chile next January but we'll see :) I'm glad you had such a rewarding experience!!
Those children just melt my heart. Little girl in the red dress is so beautiful! I want to go on a trip like this soon! Your very lucky to have been there and help! Loved this post!
xo.Britt
www.themagnoliapair.com
Ashley- great update as I put the deposit down yesterday to go, so its official and I will be buying my plane ticket tomorrow ahhh.. Passport app is in and now i just need to work on the shots too.. I CANT WAIT!!!
Jen.Michelle.Young@gmail.com
these photos are beautiful! you did such a wonderful thing.
Post a Comment