Thursday, February 9, 2012

be mine, valentine


I’m just going to start off this post with a simple…

So, I walked into Target yesterday.

There are so many possibilities for the words that follow those dots, no? I think Target has magical powers. No, really.  It never fails that whenever I walk through those red doors, I end up entranced; circling aisles for what seems like minutes, until I look down at my watch... which is, ironically, a Target purchase. Bargain shopper that I am, Target is a very familiar shopping-ground.


We all know that holidays at Target are the worst.  By worst, I really mean the best; for me at least. My Target-spell-syndrome is at it's all time high during any holiday season. Just in time for that special occasion, that big, red bulls-eye swoops on in and creates some sort of festive vortex of accessories, making you wander aisles for even longer than they had you wandering before. It’s all part of their grand and magical marketing plan, and I fall for it every time.


  Yesterday was no different. I got stuck in the Valentines aisle.... for half an hour. Yes, that's thirty minutes of my life spent looking at heart-shaped chocolate boxes and sorting through dozens of lovey-dovey cards. Was I looking at things for my darling boy? Oh, no. Instead, I was trying to pick out the coolest, the most awesome, the best sets of cards and candy to give my…. third graders.






As a new teacher, I have this idea in my head that my students are going to have the best holidays in my classroom, this year and every year. Valentines Day is no exception. I’m planning out my red outfit for Tuesday already. I’ve thought about what kinds of fun activities I could plan into my math lesson that involve conversation hearts and candy. And yes, after almost an hour of deliberation, I picked out some adorable Sweet Tart heart lollipops to go with my homemade cards. {I know, all that time and I decided to go homemade. Those aisles give me indecision-itis. Besides, homemade cards > Twilight cards in my book. Sorry.} Make fun all you want, I love any excuse to celebrate.


Not to mention, Valentines Day was the best in elementary school.


Take me back to when people weren't complaining about Valentines Day; when no one blasted their "Hallmark holiday" theories at you for actually loving the day of love. Take me back to when all was good and pure in the world; when all I wanted on Valentines Day was for my best friend to give me the best card from her 24-pack of Lisa Frank Valentines. When it was okay to wear both red, pink, and crazy heart scrunchies in your hair on a February day... and it was a little more socially acceptable. The special day when you ate only sugar and food shaped like hearts.



Bring back the good 'ol days. 

 


Case and point:

I'll leave you with this quote from one of my girls today. "I'm excited for Valentines, Miss K. I have one. I'm dating a boy! It's so exciting. He lives in Florida. I met him on the Internet. Don't worry, my mom knows!"


Oh, lord.



xoxo



4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my goodness! That is too funny! Some of the kids in my class are "dating" so they've been looking forward to Valentine's Day! And who doesn't love Target? The best!

Holly said...

Heheh I like the cheesy popcorny Valentine and LOL/EEK at the girl in your class! o.O

Just dropping by from #FF. :)
Holly
http://adventuresofholly.com

Holly said...

Hahaha I just had to laugh at the comment by your student :) Oh young love...

I'm excited to hear about how your Vday turns out with your class!!

Denise said...

I love Target! I worked there for 3 years and my entire paycheck always went right back to them haha