Friday, January 3, 2014

january thoughts


January and I have a close bond. It's a month of fresh starts and new years, for both the world and for me. I love this time of year because everyone seems so sure of themselves, in the best kind of way. Yes, it's the time of year for sometimes unrealistic goals and expectations, but sometimes it's just what we need to feel inspired. January does that for me, anyway. In January, on this Sunday, I turn a year older. While I realize that I still have so much to learn in the years to come, I think that this past year, if anything else, was a year of personal growth in so many ways.

This past year, I learned how to survive a classroom of thirty small children and still leave them each day ready to return the next. To this day, when I see them learning and growing because of something I taught, said, or did, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be. In 2013, I learned that living on your own can bring along some of the most liberating, exciting, frightening, and amazing times of your life. More than that, living on your own with other people, one of whom is your significant other, can be all of that and more. (Plus a few more happy hours.)

Sometimes in this past year, I cried. I cried tears of exhaustion, tears of happiness and sadness, tears from watching a Parenthood episode or a Google commercial, and of course, there were a couple of just because tears, too. 2013 was good for the soul. This year, I traveled. I visited a few of the best friends in a few different cities and rekindled my love for seeing new places and trying new things. I went through phases, realized that I have a lot of passions and goals that have yet to reach their full potential, and began to understand that there are plenty of things I still want to do with my life; some of which I'm sure I haven't even discovered. Yes, 2013 was absolutely a year of growth.

 photo 2b2f7687-7ee7-4ff6-8b5f-770e3e237ee5_zps548a6b85.jpg

I celebrated the end of 2013 in New York, where I realized a few things about how I want my life to look in 2014. For one, I want this year to be filled with lots of traveling and new experiences. Getting a chance to spend time in Brooklyn made me realize that I would love to visit, or even live in, new cities in my lifetime. I want 2014 to be spent with the people that make life better, just by being a part of it. This year, if there's something I want to do or learn or try or experience, I don't to wait or make excuses or be afraid. I just want to do. I want to spend more time living outside of my comfort zone, yet also spend time being comfortable and content. 2014 will be a good year, I can just feel it.

In two days, 2014 makes me turn 24. This number makes me feel old, yet still young -- a little bit stuck in the middle, if you will. I'm determined to make 2014 and 24 the exact opposite; just where I'm supposed to be. Next time you hear from me, I'll be 24 and "stuck in the middle" perhaps, but definitely enjoying the show. And, of course, always making room for chocolate.

Happy Friday, friends.

9 comments:

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

looks like a good time in NY! also loving that cute mug. :)

brooke lyn said...

sometimes commercials bring about tears ain't no shame in that! or at least that is what i tell myself as i am trying to hide them haha

Amber @ My Life in High Heels said...

Every girls needs a just because cry. Happy early birthday and happy New Year!

Amber

The Divine Diabetic said...

Happy Early Birthday, and have a wonderful 2014!

xo-Brittney

JumpingJE said...

Don't you just LOVE how travelling gives you a new outlook on the way you want to live your life back home? It's one of the best things you can do to reinvent yourself.

24 and making room for chocolate is an amazing way to live. Happy Early Birthday!

The Modern Tulip said...

Ohh my I'm so glad you commented so I could find your blog! It's adorable! Traveling is the best. I hope you get to do lots of it in 2014! I look forward to reading more :)

: Green Chic Life : said...

Girl… you're 24… lol… I'm 27, but I still feel old and young at the same time! At home in Chicago, none of my friends are married or have kids and we can go out and be idiots all night, but in Germany, everyone on base is married with children and I'm the unmarried spinster. I guess it's all about feeling good in your own skin and your own personal life, regardless of what others are doing around you.

Also, for the record, I lived in NYC and I only ever made it halfway across the Brooklyn Bridge and I feel like I'm missing out on SO much. Additionally, I agree… there is always room for chocolate!
: signe : the daily savant :
: blogspot
: bloglovin
$100 JollyChic.com Giveaway
Graphic Tee Giveaway (3 winners!)

: Green Chic Life : said...

Girl… you're 24… lol… I'm 27, but I still feel old and young at the same time! At home in Chicago, none of my friends are married or have kids and we can go out and be idiots all night, but in Germany, everyone on base is married with children and I'm the unmarried spinster. I guess it's all about feeling good in your own skin and your own personal life, regardless of what others are doing around you.

Also, for the record, I lived in NYC and I only ever made it halfway across the Brooklyn Bridge and I feel like I'm missing out on SO much. Additionally, I agree… there is always room for chocolate!
: signe : the daily savant :
: blogspot
: bloglovin
$100 JollyChic.com Giveaway
Graphic Tee Giveaway (3 winners!)

Val said...

New York is the most magical city! Great post!