This week, one of my favorite math lessons happened. Ever. We've been working on area and perimeter in math, which, like most math concepts, can be a real snoozefest if you don't make it worthwhile. So, I took to Pinterest, found an idea, tweaked it, and ran with it. What I ended up with was a class full of architects, 30 floor plans, and matching "dream houses" that complimented each child perfectly. They were so excited to design their houses; I was equally excited to see them complete a math activity with enthusiasm. Some had spas and walk-in closets and big kitchens to copy their teacher's example, while others were happy to design game rooms and play rooms and movie theaters.
Really, who doesn't like to connect their dreams to math class?
It got me thinking about my own "dream house." Yes, I told the kids that my house would most definitely have a spa, many walk-in closets, and a kitchen big enough to host an army, but if I really thought about it (which I did, soon after) my dream house would probably have the following qualities:
+ Exposed brick. This photo was taken in the same room I'm sitting in as I type this. I can only hope that when I finally own a home, there are walls that look as beautiful as this one.
+ Front porch. I don't mean a front step with room for a chair; I mean room for a swing, multiple chairs, and lots of visitors. I actually wouldn't care if my house looked like this forever.
+ Huge kitchen with lots of windows. My dream house would absolutely have a white kitchen with tons of windows, natural light, and plenty of space to host dinner party after dinner party. A girl can dream...
+ Reading nooks and window seats. "Excuse me, I'm just going to go enjoy a glass of wine and read a book in the nook, thank you." See? It sounds so natural!
+ Holidays-all-the-time. You heard right. At my dream house, it would be the holiday season all year long. Meaning, it would be completely acceptable to have twinkling lights and a decorated tree all year long. It's my belief that a house always look more beautiful with a Christmas tree.
I could go on and on. My dream house would also have a wine cellar, a huge garden, lots of bedrooms and walk-in closets, and just enough space without being too much. It would be a space I would never want to leave, and a space that everyone always wants to visit. It would never be empty, lonely, or without laughter. Seriously, what a fabulous dream that is.
Are you dreaming of you own space yet?




4 comments:
Love this!!! I am dreaming of my future house though it's still a ways away I cannot wait. I dream of a front porch too!
soooo do we get to live in this dream house together, because it is exactly like mine, especially if you're into subway tile too !
Umm, yes! Yes, please!
What a great math lesson. So fun for the kids. I bet you got some pretty interesting responses.
Love that kitchen. I often dream about my "dream house", and it doesn't stray too far from the pictures you posted.
Stopping by to say hello from Fresh Face Friday,
Mar
Post a Comment