Thursday, March 28, 2013

SB2013, y'all!


Spring Break looks different this year than ones before.

This year, the kick-off to my SB '13 involves publishing report cards and cleaning my house. Unfortunately there aren't any elaborate, exotic, or exciting trips planned. This is the Spring Break where I'm attempting to "save money," so obviously it's going to be exponentially less fun. I'm willing to accept this fact only because I've been a pretty lucky girl when it comes to travels over past Spring Breaks.

This throwback Thursday, it seems only logical to reminisce a bit.

My first, most-memorable, official Spring Break happened here:


Oahu & Maui, Hawaii, circa 2009. You could say I started this sequence of SB's off with a bang.

We went to Hawaii to visit Sam's brother who had been stationed there with the Army. We luau-ed, hula-ed, hiked, snorkeled, and experienced every ounce of island life we possibly could for the ten days we were there.

 I have been dreaming of the day I get to travel back here since the day I left.


Then came 2010.

My best friend Kelly's family has a lovely time-share in the Cayman Islands, so naturally, we wanted to test a Spring Break out there.


For the record, this was the break of the bluest water I'd ever seen. 

It was also the break of an island St. Paddy's Day, a dance-off or two, the worst sunburn my Italian skin has ever felt, and lots of jet ski races. All of the above were pretty amazing, minus the sunburn of course. The tan that remained in its place, on the other hand...


After these two breaks, I didn't think I'd see another one for at least a few years. My bank account was feeling that way, too.

The next year, however, when my student teacher friends had a different break than the rest of the world, we thought about visiting Hilton Head, SC where Maggie's family has a summer home.

So, that happened.


It was here when I fell head over heels in love with the South. I belong further south. The lifestyle is slower, the hats are bigger, and the tans are year-round. 


I even "met" Paula Deen and feasted at her restaurant during our day trip to Savannah, GA during this break. It is there, in Savannah, where I could stay forever. It is the cutest town with the most friendly people. People who say "y'all" and "darlin'" and more adorable things like that. 


The next year, there wasn't an official Spring Break, but there was a trip to Honduras in the winter to help build an elementary school; one of the most memorable trips to date.


Yes, I've been very lucky when it comes to my travels, especially my past Spring Breaks. Some of my most treasured memories of the past four years happened within these pictures, and they make for some of my favorite throwbacks.

Cheers to more memories this year, and way more throwback Thursdays that put a smile on my face.


4 comments:

Misty, Handbags + Handguns said...

I'm so ready for spring + summer. It was warm here for 3 days and now it's freezing again.

Thanks for linking up!

Lauren said...

WOW I've never been to Hawaii but I've always wanted to. Looks like you had a fabulous time. And it looks breathtaking! xo

julia rose. said...

YAY! So glad you linked up :) You have a new follower now- ME!
Your trips look nothing short of amaaazing and make me want to travel right now!
You also belong further south in my opinion ;) It's better down here!

Robin said...

Oh my, all these spring breaks sound incredible. But, the trip to Honduras sounds perfect and so memorable! Definitely a great experience!

http://flyingfarandfree.blogspot.com/