This morning, I looked through my "101 in 1,001" list that I made a long time ago when I first started blogging. I hadn't updated it in a while, and I had a strong longing to hopefully get the chance to cross some things out. I've kind of neglected that list.
Tell me it's irony, or tell me it's serendipity, but I looked at that list this morning, on August 8, 2013, and could you perhaps guess the exact date I originally wrote that list? August 8, 2011.
Tell me it's fate. Tell me I'm not the only crazy person who believes it was. The universe seems to want me to take back my original intention to cross out everything on that list. The universe seems to want my life to be everything I want it to be. You don't have to agree, but I'm with the universe.
Here are some exciting things I recently, finally crossed out or updated today:
1. Visit ten new restaurants! Goal achieved.
And some photo evidence, of course:
Okay, so crossing out five things in about a year is not the greatest personal high I've ever felt. Honestly, I didn't even mean to cross those things out; they just kind of happened. Life just happened. The interesting part is, there are a lot of things on that list that were already crossed out, meaning they all must've happened a long time ago when I actively tried to achieve all of these goals.
I have until May 5, 2014 to cross everything out, and I can already predict that it won't happen. But since it was fate that we found each other again today, you better believe I'm going to try. I've picked five goals that I want to achieve by the end of September. Ready?
1. Take a salsa dancing class/lesson
(I know they have these available all the time downtown, I just need to do it!)
2. Send snail mail to three people
(This should be easy. We all know I love handwritten letters. How is this not crossed off?)
3. Visit Nashville
(My friend Sarah moved there a year ago, so any other excuses are null and void. Plans in the works!)
4. Do something out of my comfort zone
(21 year-old Ashley was very vague. I guess that makes this goal mysterious and exciting!)
5. Complete a random act of kindness
(Self-explanatory. I think this will be a new goal of mine in every month until forever.)
I'm also going to try to keep up with five goals per month until May to see if I can knock out almost all of the list. Every goal I listed two years ago remains to be something I really want to accomplish, big or small. Now, does anyone want to join me? Life-listers love company.
Okay, I just made that up. But if you're interested, make your own list or join me in mine, and I'm sure your life will thank you.

4 comments:
I made a list of things to do while I was 24.. well, I turn 25 in less than a month and I am majorly slacking!! You've motivated me to revisit my list and get things doneeee. However, I don't want to do things just to cross them off the list. I want to make memories and really truly experience the things I've listed. :)
I am a believer in signs and the fact that you went back to this list on the same date is definitely saying something! I feel like I need to make a list but I don't want to feel the pressure of completing it (that's really sad, I know).
But I love your list and I am totally on board for doing a random act of kindness every month! Also I'm about to write some snail mail now. Maybe I'll just cheat and play off your list ;)
i think one of the best ways to do a 'random act of kindness' is to just give the compliment you're thinking in your head to a stranger!
Ah she's so adorable!
Post a Comment