Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Four years later










Checked something off the bucket list this weekend-- I graduated from college!

After four years at UMD, I'm officially leaving to start the next chapter of my life. The past couple have days have been a whirlwind of bittersweet memories. Today, I'm packing up my apartment of two years and so many past memories have been rushing back. Some of the best moments, with some of the best friends, happened in these last four years. Four years. I can't believe it. In a sense, I grew up here. Not physically, but in every other aspect, these last few years really did help me grow up. The people I met helped me grow up. The experiences I had helped me grow up. Of course, I'm not done growing up just yet. I still have a lot to learn. 

A few things that I did learn, however? 

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.  Unnecessary stress is just... unnecessary.

2. Try not to rush through life, wishing away days to get to ones ahead. You'll miss what's happening in the present if you're always waiting for the future.

3. Surround yourself with good people. Plain and simple. 

4.  Do what you love.

5. It is possible to survive on an extremely limited budget. 

6. Putting an egg in Ramen noodle soup is not only delicious, but it's also a super cheap source of protein & carbs in one bowl!

7. Don't worry about what other people think about you, as long as you love yourself. 

8.  The people who are meant to stay in your life... will.

9. Take pictures. Make memories. Have fun. Take chances. Make mistakes. Never stop learning. 

10.  You never really, truly, absolutely "grow up" in every sense of the words. People are always growing, changing, and learning. 

Next year, when I'm living in a different place and I'm starting out at a new job, I'll still be growing up. I'll still be growing, changing, and learning. You're only as grown as you allow yourself to be, and this girl is just getting started. 




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations on graduating! This is just a sweet post!
-Anna
asweetsouthernmess.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Your list of things that you've learned is SPOT ON. SUCH beautiful and FUN photos!! Congrats :-D

P!nky said...

WOOOHOOO! congrats girlie! xoxo

Krista Lynn said...

Huge congrats!!!!!! What a great feeling!!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

xox!

Sarah said...

YES so ridiculously proud of you. Congrats! (Also: LOVE that you took the cliche-but-needed pictures jumping pictures & with the M!

CALLIE said...

Congratulations sweet friend!!! Love all of the pictures :)

Brianna said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! SO exciting (: What a great accomplishment girly! P.S. I ALMOST went to UMD too (:

Carolyn said...

Congratulations! The pictures are all so cute!!!

Raquel said...

Yayyy congrats!!

Annie said...

Congratulations, Ashley! I love and completely agree with your list.

The Sweet Life said...

Yah for graduation!!!! It's such an exciting feeling!!! Being a grown up is scary though....you know who to come to for some grown up advice.....I'm only kind of serious. I can try all day long, but who am I kidding...I still have lots to figure out.

My best friends blog said...

Congrats!We just found your blog and we are your newest follower! We would love if you would check our blog out.
http://mybest-friendsblog.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Congratulations girl! Such an AWESOME accomplishment. I loved your lessons. So true. Wish I could have read those about five years ago to help me through college. ;)