Monday, July 1, 2013

must-read.

Summer reading lists: everyone's got them. The books that you've been waiting to read all year finally end up in your lap at the beach and you couldn't be happier.

This weekend, I started and finished the first book on my list. In those 48 hours, when I wasn't celebrating yet another June birthday or sleeping, I was reading. This book took me on an wonderful, terrifying, beautiful, disheartening, clarifying, emotional roller coaster that I would strongly suggest you hop on as well.


Maybe you've seen it topping highly-acclaimed reading lists all over the place, or maybe you haven't. Maybe you've cried over words on a page, or maybe you haven't. Maybe you've been in love, or maybe you haven't. It doesn't matter; the words on the pages of this book will affect you in one way or another.

Without giving too much away, I will tell you this: the book revolves around two intelligent, opinionated, endearing characters. One is a boy, the other is a girl. They are young. They have been affected by cancer in ways that are very different, yet very similar. They create an intense connection that evolves throughout the story.


Will you cry? Probably. I found myself in a puddle of tears at the beginning, middle, and end of the book for different reasons. Some events in the story are sad, yes, but more than that, they're beautiful and real and honest. The characters, their triumphs, and their battles could resonate with any reader, and that's what makes this book so addicting and wonderful.

After reading the last page and closing the book forever, Sam came in and found me in a literal puddle of my own tears. (A glass case of emotion, if you will...) 

 I said, choking back more tears: "You have to read this book."

To which he responded: "I'm not sure I want to..."

Mark my words, when this book turns into a movie, he's coming with me to hold the Kleenex.

---

If you're not afraid of emotion, you will want to read this book. If you are afraid, proceed at your own caution. Either way, you won't regret it. 



{Linking up with Leeann and Sar}

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

I absolutely LOVED this book! I want to read it again soon, but there's so many books out there I want to read as well!

Amber @ My Life in High Heels said...

I'm always looking for another good read. I've never heard of this one but I'll have to take a look at it!

Brianna said...

this is on my list!! can't wait! although... I'm not excited about the crying part hahaha!

brooke lyn said...

i have been meaning to read this! and i heard they are going to make it into a movie so i must read first!!