I can hardly find the time, or the energy, to write at all after a day at work lately. Ever. I would love to document all of the funny, ridiculous anecdotes from my classroom, or maybe share some recipes, or even chat about trashy reality TV, but I fail in doing so... a lot.
When I heard about Jenni's challenge to blog every day in May, I thought it was a wonderfully impossible idea; for me anyway. That being said, I'm also a bit too competitive for my own good and I'm always up for a good challenge. I'm not saying I will succeed, but I guess I'm going to try. Here goes nothing...
Day one: The story of my life in 250 words or less.
I'm the worst at creating short and sweet social media bios. Ask me to "describe myself in three sentences or less" and you'll give me anxiety. During my first ever college class, the professor asked everyone to write one "I am..." phrase to (shocker!) describe ourselves. This class was the first time I finally, successfully summed up my life and myself in the best possible way: I am a work in progress. This is the true story of my life. Yes, I am a teacher. Yes, I am a daughter, a sister, and a friend; but I also have dreams that I have yet to reach and goals I have yet to achieve. I'm a lot more than those labels, yet there are many labels I still wish to attain: writer, mother, photographer, world-traveler.
.JPG)
So far, here's my story: I was named after a soap opera character. I grew up in a small town, and now I live in a city. I've lived in the same state my entire life. In second grade, I knew I wanted to become a teacher one day. I'm a UMD graduate. I love to write. I'm a wannabe photographer. I can find a reason to celebrate anything. I've traveled to seven countries. I make an obscene amount of lists. My heart is almost always bigger than my head. I'm a people pleaser, to a fault. I'm in love. Most of my days are spent with nine year-olds. Now, ask me to write the story of my life in ten years, and I hope I can say: I published a book. I have a photography business. I still teach children. I've doubled my list of traveled countries. I live in a lovely house filled with a big family. My wedding was one of the best days of my life. My to-do list is still growing; my story's not finished yet.
I'm still a work in progress.
6 comments:
I'm looking forward to all your "Everyday in May" posts! I know how you feel about the anxiety of describing oneself. I used to dread the first day of classes just for that reason! ha! But I like your solution. I think we're all continually a "work in progress". Good luck with your challenge. I'll be reading!
Found your blog through The Story of My Life link up! What a great way to put it... I am a work in progress. I love that you included your future goals, too!
Found through the link-up. I love that you sum yourself up as a work in progress. So succinct and true for us all!! At least anyone growing and learning in the world. Look forward to learning more about you this month. :)
What a true statement for all of us "I am a work in progress!" Can't wait to read more of your blog every day in may posts!
Love reading all these stories! My mom was also named after a soap opera character :)
I love your story! I love that you were able to include so many details in a short paragraph (you did great)...and that you thought about the story for the next ten years. Beautifully written!
Thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hello! I'm so glad for Jenni's link up; it's such a wonderful opportunity to find new blogs to read!
Have a great week!
Post a Comment